The Day Before


I have an incredible story to tell.  A story of forgiveness.  A story of redemption.  A story of salvation.  A story of a man that has an incredible heart but wanted more.

Thirteen years ago, this man came into my life.  Several years later, he would become the Papaw to my little boy and at that time, I had no idea just how much we would all need each other.

I could write a book about the journey we have been on but this past week has been my favorite journey of all and it's a journey worth sharing.

I want to rewind a few years.  I remember vividly the night it happened.  I was juggling churches and wasn't sure which church I wanted to attend.  I got a text message one Saturday evening that asked if I was going to church the next morning.  Before I could respond, another text came through.  "If so, I want to go with you."  Tears fell from my eyes.  We had been asking this person to church for years but because it brought so many emotions, they stayed away.  Sunday morning came and we all attended church together.  Me, my son and his papaw.


June 10, 2018


For over one year, this man attended church with or without us.  Over the past several months, he hasn't been able to step foot in a church.  In fact, he hasn't been able to go anywhere.

I have prayed over the years for God to open a door for me to ask him about his salvation.  Let me tell you... the door is always open.  I knew he had a GOOD heart but we all know that our goodness doesn't grant us access into the Kingdom of God.

Fast forward to September 10, 2019.  A day my family experienced loss.  I woke up to a text message from my brother.  I knew as soon as I read those words, my granddad had gone to be with Jesus.  I wasn't sad because my granddad lived on this earth for 91 years and accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior several years ago.  It's a wonderful feeling knowing where your loved ones will spend eternity.

I had taken off work that day to be with my mom and help however I was needed.  My niece, Addy, stayed with me most of the day and went with me to pick up my son.  We headed over to see my son's papaw and that's where one of the most incredible moments took place.

My son's papaw wasn't having a good day.  His mind had been playing tricks on him and I explained to him that his dreams seem very real but they aren't real.  He was upset because he thought he was causing problems.  I told him to tell that ole devil to leave him alone and to take hold of Jesus.

That's when the door flew open.  He said, "I wish I would have held on to Him longer."  I told him that it wasn't too late to take hold of Jesus.  I asked him if he wanted to make Jesus Lord of his life and with tears streaming down his face, he said yes.  He started to get out of his wheelchair, looked up at me and said,  "I can't kneel down."  That's when I knew that my son's papaw knew exactly what he was doing.  His mind wasn't playing tricks on him.  He was thinking clear and right then and there... me, my son's cousin, and his papaw... prayed.

In room 130, God met this man I have grown to love more than I could ever express.  A day my family experienced death... we also got to experience LIFE.  My son got to witness his papaw humble himself before God, ask for forgiveness of his sins and make Jesus the Lord of his life.  WOW!


September 11, 2019
JOY

I thought I had waited too late.  I was upset knowing I missed many opportunities to ask this man about his salvation.  I encourage you today, if you call yourself a Christian, don't ever wait to ask someone if they have made Jesus Lord of their life.  It matters... it matters more than ANYTHING else this world has to offer.  It matters for eternity.  

The world will never forget what happened on September 11th... but I will never forget what happened the day before.
         


Comments