Let Us Not Forget

REMARKABLE

That's the word my son used to describe 2019.  That word is the complete opposite of the word I would choose for 2019.  2019 was HARD.  2019 was TOUGH.  2019 was a year of great LOSS.

I know for many of you reading this, 2019 was a defining year for you and your family.

I find that often times, the bad can overshadow the good.  The losses far outweigh the wins. The negatives seem to be magnified and we forget all that our year truly possessed.

 

Our year started off with an incredible trip to Northern New York to visit my brother and his family.  Though our pictures showed nothing but smiles and good times, there was still much heartache and grief.  


As the year progressed, my son was able to live out his dream of playing for the Sox, a local travel ball team in West Monroe, LA, but it didn't last long.  Before the season got started, he hurt his knee and not too much further into the season, he hurt his throwing arm.  Let's just say we both learned a lot this baseball season.  Definitely an unforgettable baseball season.



The weekend my son's elbow started hurting was one of the biggest tournaments he had ever played in but he pushed through the pain.  His team took home 2nd place out of 30+ teams.  After their victory, he was able to celebrate his birthday. Right after the championship game, around midnight, smack dab in the middle of In and Out, we sang Happy Birthday to Kendall and his teammates mom.  I'd say that was a birthday to remember.




Another significant moment that took place this year happened on my dad's birthday.  My son was able to throw out the first pitch for one of the ULM baseball games.  For those of you that don't know my family, my granddad was the head coach of "ULM" when he passed away so this was very special to our family.
   


By far the BEST surprise of 2019! My sweet Daniela flew in to spend two weeks with me and Kendall.  God knew exactly what we needed and who we needed in our lives.  Don't ever doubt His timing.  He is in the details.



For our vacation this year, we took a trip to Chicago.  We had no plans other than two Cubs games.  It was the perfect trip for just the two of us.  A sweet mentor of mine gave me some advice before I left... Go and have fun.  And that's exactly what I did.



I didn't think my son's Papaw would ever make it out of the hospital but he did.  We are both very thankful for the time we have been able to spend with this man over the past several months.   He means the world to us.  Though I never officially became his daughter in law... I took on the title of "the daughter I never had." 



During the midst of chaos, my son started his last year of elementary school.  I would say this has been his hardest year as far as the changes that have taken place in his life.  But he has pushed through the obstacles and kept his head up.  Maintaining good grades and helping out with the Fellowship of Christian Students. 



On September 8th, my brother and his family moved back home. I didn't realize just how much I had missed them until I had them home.  I LOVE my family BIG. 



Two days after my brother moved back home, my granddad passed away.  


The same day my Granddad passed away, my son's Papaw made Jesus Christ Lord of his life.  We experienced death and life in the same day.  I don't have words to even begin explaining how significant this day was for us.



My son and his Papaw at the bayou behind the rehab he was in at the time.  They both thought we were just fishing.



We surprised my mom on her 75th birthday this year with a small "partial" family gathering.  I LOVE birthdays and think that those you love should be celebrated BIG.  You can learn an awful lot about people on your birthday.



We became West Monroe Rebel Football season ticket holders for the first time ever.  We had such a great time with friends and this gal might have learned a little more about football.



My son played FNA football this season.  It was a blast and they took home the Championship Trophy.



We ended 2019 with a trip to New Orleans in December.  My son got to watch his first NBA game and we got to spend some much needed away time together.
  


New Year's Eve was a defining moment for the both of us.


While these are amazing photos and memories, none of them defined 2019 for us.  The moments that weren't captured on camera or perhaps even the not so glorifying or devastating moments... are the ones that defined this year for us or should I say for me.  The hard days.  The gut-wrenching days.  The days we may have wished away.  

But looking back, we had some pretty REMARKABLE days over the past 365 days.  And that is what defined 2019 for my son.  Our kids sure have a way of teaching us about life.

The enemy will try and force you to forget about the remarkable moments.  He wants you to see and remember only the bad days.  The darkness over the light.

Even in the bad... God is good.

This year God is saying WATCH ME!

  










  


Comments