Take Time to Listen

Over the past 4 months, I have tried to recall so many conversations between my dad and I.  We were able to have some great daddy/daughter times--along with my son, Kendall, the past few years.  But, the one thing I wish I would have done more of--listen.  The last two visits I had with my dad, I listened.  The sad part, the conversations weren't that long but I LISTENED.  I had missed so much of what my dad had been trying to tell me for so many years. 

My attention span isn't long AT ALL so when your story starts to sound like an episode of Charlie Brown, my mind quickly begins to daydream.  My dad was always telling stories of his childhood and about his family growing up.  He always told me he had a fantasy childhood that most kids would dream about.  But the depth of the conversations were so much greater than I can remember and there is absolutely nothing I can do to get that time back.  There are no recordings of our lives that we can stick into a DVD player, rewind and watch over and over again.  Since I can't go back and do things over, I have learned to listen more to my five year old when he is telling me stories about school, football, his dreams and when he prays.  I have learned to control my mind and listen with intent.  I make time to visit with my Granddad and also my mother.  I make sure Kendall knows how important it is to spend time with his Mimi and Papaw.  God gave us two ears for a reason and now I realize that more than ever.  So when someone takes the time to talk to you, listen.  When they share their heart with you, listen.  When your parent shares their past with you, listen.  When they correct you, listen.  When your child wants your full attention to tell you about the little squirrel  outside, listen because if you don't listen now, they won't bother to tell you later.

There is one thing that we can not ever get back--time. It's one of our greatest gifts.  Surround yourself with those that have lived life. Those that can pour wisdom into your life.  Experience can teach us so much.  I have always blamed my memory on the reason I can't remember things but I have come to the realization that I just don't listen. My mind is 90 mph on something else when it should be focused on the person talking to me.  Make it a point as you go through the day to listen.  Listen with both ears. 

Below are a few lines from a poem I was given several years ago, "Take Time."

 
Take time to think...

It is the source of power.
Take time to play...
It is the secret of perpetual youth.
Take time to read...
It is the fountain of wisdom.
Take time to pray...
It is the greatest power on earth.
Take time to love and
be loved...
It is a God-given privilege.
 
and I will add...take time to listen...for that time can never be replaced!
 
I encourage you to listen more this week.  You will be amazed at the things you learn just by listening. 

Comments