Teachers Are Special

As a mother dropping her child off for the first day of school... First as in the first day of kindergarten... Not first grade or second grade... But literally the very first day, can be so emotional to the point you can do nothing that day except worry about your baby. Wonder if he or she will be okay. Wonder if the bigger kids will bully him or her.  Wonder if the other kids in the class will accept him or her.  Wonder if his teacher will watch over him or her like their own...

However, I experienced none of this! I knew my child was in good hands as soon as I opened my car door to help him out. All of the above would be normal for anyone but I was relaxed. I knew Mrs. Norris would always have her eyes on Kendall and I knew Kendall's teacher.  I knew she was more than a teacher.  I knew she would protect my child. I knew she would teach my child. I knew she would learn who he was and work with him.  Mrs. Wanda Smith would have my child for 7 hours a day.  I trusted my child to her as I worked. I prayed for her every day before I dropped Kendall off that God would bless her for watching over my baby boy.  Teachers are special and Mrs. Smith is no exception.

This year was extra special to her though as this would be her last class to teach.  She wrote a letter the last week of school that reminded me almost word for word of my dad. (And yes I cried like a baby) She spoke of teaching her kids more than math and reading... She spoke of life skills! Her teaching was so much deeper than Monday through Friday. More than 8 to 3. It was looking into a child's heart and helping them prepare for life even at the age of 5 or 6.

God knew what I needed this year.  He knew it would be our first school year without my dad and Kendall's granddad.  I'd like to think that part of what Mrs. Smith instilled into my little boy was some of what my dad would have taught him. She was the PERFECT teacher for my Kendall Beck.

I asked him what was his favorite thing about Mrs Smith and his response was ... "She loved us."  And without a doubt... I smiled and told him, "Yes, baby, she does".

Thank you Mrs. Smith for for a wonderful first year and thank you for all the years prior.  We love you!

Comments