I Was Miss Louisisana




It was always my dream since I was a little girl to be Miss America.  I had no clue how I was going to get there but I knew that was where I wanted to be.  Walking down the run way with sparkling confetti falling down as I waved the Miss America wave to the crowd as the song played... There she is Miss America.  I can still see it happening after all these years.  Dreams never die... We just let them pass us by.

I competed for the title of Miss La in 2005 because that was going to get me one step closer to hearing my name called out as Miss America.  My mom and dad felt I had a chance even though I only had one year to compete.  It wasn't a far fetched dream.  It could have actually happened.  I even found out the night of my dad's visitation that someone else, who was a strong contender for the crown, was also a believer that I could be named the next Miss La.  When they told me that, I wanted to call my dad but I couldn't.

My preparation brought some pep back into our family during the months leading up to the week of Miss La.  But I wasn't called Miss La 2005... At least I wasn't the night a new Miss La was crowned.

I was called Miss Louisiana the next day (Father's Day) by my biggest fan, my dad.  He said "I know in my heart you won, and you'll always be Miss Louisiana to me."  Did I cry? You bet this daddy's girl cried.  I wasn't upset I didn't take the crown home.  I was filled with so many emotions knowing I finally did it. But more than anything, I was Miss Louisiana 2005, in the eyes of the only one that mattered.

I know he would have been beyond thrilled hearing Laurie Payne's name called as the winner on final night but reading his words the next day were more important than hearing my name the night before. I was my daddy's Miss Louisiana.  It didn't stop that day either.  That's what I was to my dad... a queen.  Forever.

I say all this because words matter.  What you speak over someone matters.  It's been almost 10 years since I walked across the stage competing for a once in a lifetime dream and his words still impact me today.  I know who I am because those words were spoken over me.  What matters most to so many is what their loved ones feel and think about them.  Especially a mother or father.

I had a single mother share a story about her dream of becoming homecoming queen. Well, she lost by 3 votes and was devastated.  But what her dad shared with her when he learned of her heartache when she was not announced as homecoming queen, will always be treasured.  A man of few words wrote her a letter stating she would always be his princess.  Tears fell from her eyes and that moment still moves her to this day. Daddy's princess.  She knows who she is.

It's never too late to speak life over your kids. Never!!!  I'm 33 and what my dad spoke over me will carry me through the rest of my life.  What my mother speaks over me will still influence my life.  What I speak over my 6 year old will mean more than any trophy he could ever receive.

To the world you may be one person... But one person you may be the world!

Words matter.  I am Miss Louisiana.  Who are you?





Comments