Inside Out

Emotional Holidays

There are so many emotions that come with the holiday season.  I sometimes feel like the little girl from Inside Out. I'm sure I confuse my own emotions at times. Happy. Sad. Glad. Mad. Joyful. Hopeful. Depressed. Which one did I leave out? 

 Growing up, I absolutely loved the holidays. Family came together. Laughter was always present. Never did I feel anything but happy around the holidays. I don't know if it was because I was little or because they were always that much fun. As I get older, I realize so many feelings come as the weather gets cooler, the nights come earlier, and stress picks up. Emotions are like a roller coaster. Up and down and all around.  I can hear a certain song and it makes me want to crawl in a hole until the holidays are over.  Then I see the sparkle in my little boys eyes when he talks about Christmas.  Of course, he is excited about the presents.  He has been taught the true meaning of Christmas, but like most kids, he loves the thought of presents galore.  Santa. The lights.  The excitement most people have.  The generosity that most show during the holidays season.  It seems we all show our pearly whites a little more. We have a pep in our step that maybe wasn't there months prior. It is a joyful season but it's also a season that brings depression or sadness for many.  It seems to be a reminder of those we have lost because the void is felt even stronger.  

Can you see the sadness behind one's smile?  Can you see the heartache in their eyes?  There are so many who want to skip the holidays because it is a season or a reminder of what some don't have. Family. A loved one gone too soon.  Broken families.  Loved ones in jail.  Sickness.  Financial stress.  The list goes on.  So as the holidays sneak up on us, let's show some love to those around us.  Whether you think they are deserving of it or not.  I heard so many share earlier this week about the heartache the holidays bring them.  Let's not forget why we celebrate but let's also not forget those who are hurting.  They may wear mask to cover their hurt but underneath, their hurt is deep.

So be thankful for what is in your life today and who is in your life today.  Happy Thanksgiving to you all! 

Comments