What in the World

It's almost been one month since our lives were changed, yet again, because someone we loved left us. This time, we knew it was coming.  But I had no idea just how much it would bring back so much heartache that was buried deep inside.  It was almost unbearable.

For those of you that follow me, you know that we hosted a foreign exchange student for 7 months.  It took us a while to get settled and find our, once again, new normal but once we figured it all out...we became a little family of three.   I can't begin to explain the joy that was restored to our home and our lives.

So, what's new?  What has changed in a month?  All I can say is thank goodness for baseball.  It has kept us busy and our minds occupied because we are once again a family of two.  It's quiet.  It's not as busy.  It's different.

I thought that I was ready and prepared for the day that Daniela was leaving.  No tears were going to be shed.  I was numb to people coming in and out of our lives.  So I thought.  It's been 4 years since my dad passed away and I thought I had made it through all of the stages of grieving.  I was SO wrong.

I don't know why my mind went back to 4 years ago but the feelings came back stronger than ever.  Maybe I never truly dealt with all of my emotions when my dad passed away.  I wasn't able to.  I didn't have the chance to grieve or deal with life because of circumstances that were completely out of my control.

As I was getting ready for the day to take Daniela to the airport, putting on my make-up in the mirror that I had been looking at the past 4 years, it hit me.  I felt like I did the night of my dad's visitation.  I was preparing to say goodbye to someone that I had once again allowed my heart to love.  I understand that physically, Daniela wasn't going anywhere, (well, maybe another country) but she had been the glue that brought our family together again.  I tried to bury my emotions and I thought I was doing pretty good until she started to hug everyone goodbye...and boy, the waterworks came and I couldn't stop them.  What in the world was happening to me?  How could a 16 year old affect me like she did?  I'm not sure that I have adjusted to life just yet but I am learning.  We are learning.

Life never ceases to amaze me.  The people that I am now connected to because of this precious 16 year old, will be friends/family forever.  Friends across the world.  Family in another country.

I wasn't prepared for life after she left. I didn't think it would impact us the way it did but we are taking one day at a time.  We laugh at things Daniela said when she was here and we adjust.

I thank God for placing people in our lives to remind us that we weren't created to do life alone.  Relationships matter.  Friends matter.  Family matters.




















Comments